On Beaver Island Nature is the Entertainment (at least most of the time!). Simplicity and serenity is Beaver Island.
Visitors to our island soon after arrival understand, how such a simple place can have such a lasting impact. Beaver Island is the place to leave your stressful life and mind behind. Here, there are no deadlines, meeting calls, or pressing deadlines. It is always island time.
When we dig ourselves out of the long winters, we get real busy organizing festivals, events and celebrations for the summer and early fall; festivities that stretch from lots of music events, cultural and nature celebrations, to sports, food and beverage feasts and heritage. The Fall Colors dazzle us in October and by the time the November storms hit, we’re working on events and celebrations for next year. Here is a sample listing for 2020:
• Memorial Day Weekend – Traditionally it’s the weekend “for the Birds”. Warblers are the attraction and migratory bird watching is famous.
• Pirate Party/Tall Ship Weekend – with deck tours, games, fun and pig roast! Great picture opportunity.
• Beaver Island Bike Festival – Fully supported bike ride with rest stop snacks, picnic lunch on the beach, BBQ buffet at the Shamrock, Live Music, prizes, T-shirts and more goodies. Info at www.beaverislandbikefestival.com
• Beaver Island Eco Fair – The Beaver Island Eco-Fair is a celebration of nature and sustainability.The fair features local and regional green vendors, sustainable technology, arts, music, environmental action & education. The mission of the Beaver Island Eco-Fair is to showcase sustainable solutions, and demonstrate that Beaver Island is a regional leader in the promotion of renewable energy, healthy food systems, and community resilience. For more information please visit www.bimf.net or contact: Carol Burton @231.838.2883 or Nathan Ayers @734.249.8334
July 4 • Independence Day Celebrations with Street and Boat Parades, Carnival, Live Music and Fireworks
• Museum Week – music; presentations on nature, history, and Native American culture; nature walks and cruises, and an art show. Enjoy the island’s history for the perspectives of the Mormon Print Museum, the Marine Museum, Protar’s Home and Heritage Park, Lighthouse Tours. Check at http://beaverislandhistory.org for details.
• Beaver Island Mac Party – The Annual Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac. Sail from Mackinac to Beaver Island this year for the 4th Annual Beaver Island Mac Party.
• The Beaver Island Music Festival. Music in the Woods since 2003, a 3-day outdoor event combining nature, renewable energies, music and artwork, song and dance. Plan to enjoy one of Michigan’s most unique festivals, with wide varieties of music, art, and activities for all ages, food, camping, and beautiful Beaver Island. Artists perform on many of the ferry rides, shuttles run throughout the festival. (231) 838-2883 http://www.bimf.net
• Baroque on Beaver – A Festival of Classical Music brings professional and student musicians together on Beaver Island. Performances range from small ensembles to a full orchestra and chorus concert. For information call 888-511-5189 or consult baroqueonbeaver.org
• Homecoming – This celebration calls all Beaver Islanders to spend a weekend back home and joining in with the island traditions including the Bud McDonough Memorial Softball Tournament Friday afternoon and all-day Saturday; August Dinner with grilled chicken all the fixins’ at the Holy Cross Hall…brought to you by Holy Cross Church; and the Basket of Joy Raffle…also brought to you by Holy Cross Church..raffled on Sunday Evening.
• The Annual Island Bocce Tournament, “The Roll for Pets.” Information and Advance Tickets please call: 231-448-2603
• Be Happy Contra Dance Weekend – Come to our Island retreat where the pace is slow. Spend your evenings contra dancing to the tunes of Uncle Lou and the Oakland County Allstars, with dances called by the fabulous Glen Morningstar Jr. Spend your days relaxing in the sun on one of our lovely beaches. For more information call Larissa McGinnity at 231-448-2125.
• The Beaver Island Half Marathon plus 10K and 5K. Start at 9:00AM for 1/2 Marathon, 9:30AM for 10K and 10:00AM for 5K. Packet pick up and day before registration will take place on the porch at Dalwhinnie from 5 – 6:30pm.
Sept 11 – 12 • Beaver Island Irish Festival. Great Irish bands, food, Irish dancers, history, games and lots of dancing. Save the date for this special Irish Festival on America’s Emerald Isle. There’ll be great music singing, dancing, history, family fun, shenanigans, plenty of tall tales and more. Check back here for details.
• Bite of Beaver Island. Taste what the best professional and amateur chefs on the Island have to offer – sample a wide variety of treats. Participate in a boodle and enjoy the start of the fall colors season.